The Macoupin Center for the Developmentally Disabled was formally organized as "The Macoupin
County Association for the Retarded Children" in 1956. The first classes started in January of 1961.
Although the first classes started out with younger students, the age level of the school changed
when the public schools began offering programs for mentally disabled children under the age of 21.
Enrollment declined to eight students, ages 21 to 72, and the school moved to a private home. It
soon outgrew that home and successfully built the present $150,000 Training Center. Currently the
school has 17 students from throughout Macoupin County and still receives enrollment of new applicants.